Respirable coal mine dust: Geometric mean exposures and percent exceeding designated occupational exposure limits by type of mine, MSHA inspector and mine operator samples, 1979-2003
- indicates incalculable field. PEL - permissible exposure limit REL - recommended exposure limit G
Note: In coal mining, for respirable dust containing less than or equal to 5% quartz, the MSHA PEL is 2 mg/m3 MRE; for respirable dust containing greater than 5% quartz, the MSHA PEL is [(10 mg/m3 MRE) / (% quartz)]. The NIOSH REL of 1 mg/m3 MRE for respirabl
Source: MSHA coal mine inspector and mine operator dust data.
NIOSH 2008. Work-Related Lung Disease Surveillance System (eWoRLD). 2008-171 U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Respiratory Health Division, Morgantown, WV. Available at: <http://wwwn.cdc.gov/eworld/Data/171> October 21, 2016.
Reference Number: 2008-171
Date Posted: June 2008
- Page last reviewed: June 1, 2008
- Page last updated: June 1, 2008
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Page maintained by: Respiratory Health Division (RHD), Surveillance Branch