- Brigden ML, Johnston M for the Thrombosis Interest Group of Canada. A
survey of aPTT reporting in Canadian medical laboratories. The need for
increased standardization. Thrombosis Interest Group of Canada. Am J Clin
- Favaloro EJ, Thom J, Baker R for Australasian Society for Thrombosis and
Haemostasis (ASTH) Emerging Technologies Group. Assessment of current
diagnostic practice and efficacy in testing for von Willebrand's disorder:
results from the second Australasian multi-laboratory survey. Blood Coagul
- Favaloro EJ, Smith J, Petinos P, Colecutt M, Street A, Hertzberg M.
Laboratory testing, diagnosis, and management of von Willebrand disease.
Current practice in Australasia. RCPA. Quality Assurance Program in
Haematology Scientific Haemostasis Advisory Panel. Am J Clin Pathol.
- Favaloro EJ, Smith J, Petinos P, Hertzberg M, Koutts J. Laboratory testing
for von Willebrand's disease: an assessment of current diagnostic practice and
efficacy by means of a multi-laboratory survey. RCPA Quality Assurance Program
(QAP) in Haematology Haemostasis Scientific Advisory Panel. Thromb Haemost.
- Brigden ML, Johnston MJ. INR reporting in Canadian medical laboratories:
an update. Thrombosis Interest Group of Canada. Am J Clin Pathol.
- Lum G. Critical limits (alert values) for physician notification:
universal or medical center specific limits? Ann Clin Lab Sci.
- Murray ET, Fitzmaurice DA. An evaluation of quality control activity for
near patient testing in primary care. Br J Gen Pract. 1998;48:18531854.
- Graves DF, Chernin JM, Kurusz M, Zwischenberger JB. Anticoagulation
practices during neonatal extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: survey results.
- Mackinlay N, Favaloro E, Arthur C, Smith J, Aboud M. A survey of heparin
monitoring in Australasia. Pathology. 1996;28:343347.
- Yim JM, Albers GW, Vlasses PH. Anticoagulant therapy monitoring with
international normalized ratio at US academic health centers. Ann Pharmacother.
- Andrew M, Brigden M, Bormanis J, Cruickshank M, Geerts W, Giles A, et al
for the Thrombosis Interest Group of Canada. INR reporting in Canadian medical
laboratories. Am J Hematol. 1995;48:237239.
- Ansell JE. Imprecision of prothrombin time monitoring of oral
anticoagulation. A survey of hospital laboratories. Am J Clin Pathol.
- Nelson DE. Current considerations in the use of the APTT in monitoring
unfractionated heparin [Review]. Clin Lab Sci. 1999;12:359364.
- Fairweather RB, Ansell J, van den Besselaar AM, Brandt JT, Bussey HI,
Poller L, et al. College of American Pathologists Conference XXXI on
laboratory monitoring of anticoagulant therapy: laboratory monitoring of oral
anticoagulant therapy [Review]. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1998;122:768781. Accessed January 2003.
Full Text PDF
- Laposata M, Green D, van Cott EM, Barrowcliffe TW, Goodnight SH, Sosolik
RC. College of American Pathologists Conference XXXI on laboratory monitoring
of anticoagulant therapy: the clinical use and laboratory monitoring of
low-molecular-weight heparin, danaparoid, hirudin and related compounds, and
argatroban [Review]. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1998;122:799807.Accessed
Full Text PDF
- Olson JD, Arkin CF, Brandt JD, Cunningham MT, Giles A, Koepke JA, Witte
DL. College of American Pathologists Conference XXXI on laboratory monitoring
of anticoagulant therapy: laboratory monitoring of unfractionated heparin
therapy [Review]. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1998;122:782798.Accessed
Full Text PDF
- Ansell JE, Buttaro ML, Thomas OV, Knowlton CH. Consensus guidelines for
coordinated outpatient oral anticoagulation therapy management.
Anticoagulation Guidelines Task Force [Review]. Ann Pharmacother.
- Adcock DM, Kressin DC, Marlar RA. Minimum specimen volume requirements for
routine coagulation testing: dependence on citrate concentration. Am J Clin
- Reneke J, Etzell J, Leslie S, Ng VL, Gottfried EL. Prolonged prothrombin
time and activated partial thromboplastin time due to underfilled specimen
tubes with 109 mmol/L (3.2%) citrate anticoagulant. Am J Clin Pathol.
- Adcock DM, Kressin DC, Marlar RA. Effect of 3.2% vs 3.8% sodium citrate
concentration on routine coagulation testing. Am J Clin Pathol.
- Bussey HI, Force RW, Bianco TM, Leonard AD. Reliance on prothrombin time
ratios causes significant errors in anticoagulation therapy. Arch Intern Med.
- NCCLS. How to Define and Determine Reference Intervals in the Clinical
Laboratory; Approved GuidelineSecond Edition (Document C28-A2). Wayne,
- Watson C, Kitchen S, Woolley AM, Young L, Malia RG. Recombinant and tissue
extract thromboplastins for determination of international normalised ratio in
over-anticoagulated patients. Br J Biomed Sci. 1999;56:123127.
- Baele G, Fiers T, Leroux-Roels G. Comparison of a recombinant
thromboplastin with Thrombotest for oral anticoagulant control. Haemostasis.
- Davis KD, Danielson CF, May LS, Han ZQ. Use of different thromboplastin
reagents causes greater variability in international normalized ratio results
than prolonged room temperature storage of specimens. Arch Pathol Lab Med.
- Kitchen S, Jennings I, Woods TA, Walker ID, Preston FE. Two recombinant
tissue factor reagents compared to conventional thromboplastins for
determination of international normalised ratio: a thirty-three-laboratory
collaborative study. The Steering Committee of the UK National External
Quality Assessment Scheme for Blood Coagulation. Thromb Haemost.
- Hirsh J, Dalen JE, Deykin D, Poller L, Bussey H. Oral anticoagulants:
mechanism of action, clinical effectiveness, and optimal therapeutic range
[Review]. Chest. 1995;108(4 Suppl):231S246S.
- Hobbs FD, Fitzmaurice DA, Murray ET, Holder R, Rose PE, Roper JL. Is the
international normalised ratio (INR) reliable? A trial of comparative
measurements in hospital laboratory and primary care settings. J Clin Pathol.
- Shojania AM, Tetreault J, Turnbull G. The variations between heparin
sensitivity of different lots of activated partial thromboplastin time reagent
produced by the same manufacturer. Am J Clin Pathol. 1988;89:1923.
- Kitchen S, Jennings I, Woods TA, Preston FE. Wide variability in the
sensitivity of APTT reagents for monitoring of heparin dosage. J Clin Pathol.
- Scialla SJ. Heparin monitoring by activated partial thromboplastin time.
Comparison of ex vivo measurement and in vitro standardization. Am J Clin
- College of American Pathologists. Comprehensive Coagulation Survey.
Participant Summary (Set GC2-A). Northfield, IL: College of American
- Smythe MA, Koerber JM, Westley SJ, Nowak SN, Begle RL, Balasubramaniam M,
Mattson JC. Use of the activated partial thromboplastin time for heparin
monitoring. Am J Clin Pathol. 2001;115:148155.
- Adcock D, Kressin D, Marlar RA. The effect of time and temperature
variables on routine coagulation tests. Blood Coagul Fibrinol. 1998;9:463470.
- NCCLS. Collection, Transport and Processing of Blood Specimens for
Coagulation Testing and General Performance of Coagulation Assays; Approved
GuidelineThird Edition (Document H21-A3). Wayne, PA:NCCLS; 1998.
- O'Donnell J, Boulton FE, Manning RA, Laffan MA. Genotype at the secretor
blood group locus is a determinant of plasma von Willebrand factor level. Br J
- Souto JC, Almasy L, Muniz-Diaz E, Soria JM, Borrell M, Bayen L, et al.
Functional effects of the ABO locus polymorphism on plasma levels of von
Willebrand factor, factor VIII, and activated partial thromboplastin time.
Arterioscl Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000;20:20242028.
- Nitu-Whalley IC, Lee CA, Griffioen A, Jenkins PV, Pasi KJ. Type 1 von
Willebrand diseasea clinical retrospective study of the diagnosis, the
influence of the ABO blood group and the role of the bleeding history. Br J
- Favaloro EJ, Koutts J. Laboratory assays for von Willebrand factor:
relative contribution to the diagnosis of von Willebrand's disease. Pathology.
- Favaloro EJ. Laboratory assessment as a critical component of the
appropriate diagnosis and sub-classification of von Willebrands disease.
Blood Rev. 1999;13:185204.
- Ridker PM, Miletich JP, Hennekens CH, Buring JE. Ethnic distribution of
factor V Leiden in 4047 men and women. Implications for venous thromboembolism
screening. JAMA. 1997;277:13051307.
- Hooper WG, Evatt BL. The role of activated protein C resistance in the
pathogenesis of venous thrombosis [Review]. Am J Med Sci. 1998;316:120128.
- Grody WW, Griffin JH, Taylor AK, Korf BR, Heit JA. American College of
Medical Genetics consensus statement on factor V Leiden mutation testing.
Genet Med. 2001;3:139148.
Full Text and PDF
- Rodeghiero F, Tosetto A. Activated protein C resistance and factor V
Leiden mutation are independent risk factors for venous thromboembolism. Ann
Intern Med. 1999;130:643650.
- Hille ET, Westendorp RG, Vandenbroucke JP, Rosendaal FR. Mortality and
causes of death in families with the factor V Leiden mutation (resistance to
activated protein C). Blood. 1997;89:19631967.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CLIA Subpart JPatient Test
Management for Moderate Complexity (Including the Subcategory), High
Complexity, or Any Combination of These Tests.
Sec. 493.1109. Standard:
Test report. Accessed, December 2002.
- Sage-el A, Burns E, Wenz B. The unwarranted use of replicate analysis in
routine coagulation studies. Am J Clin Pathol. 1985;83:8183.
- Kramer G, Bradlow BA. An analysis of duplicate testing of
prothrombin time and activated partial thromboplastin time assays. Am J Clin
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CLIA Subpart KQuality Control
for Tests of Moderate Complexity (Including the Subcategory), High Complexity,
or Any Combination of These Tests.
Sec. 493.1253 Condition:
Hematology. Accessed, December 2002.
- Chiquette E, Amato MG, Bussey HI. Comparison of an anticoagulation clinic
with usual medical care: anticoagulation control, patient outcomes, and health
care costs. Arch Intern Med. 1998;158:16411647.
- van Cott EM. Coagulation point-of-care testing. Clinics Lab Med.
- LaBeau KM, Granade S, Steindel SJ. The Pacific Northwest
Laboratory Medicine Sentinel Monitoring Network
Final report of the findings of Questionnaire 16:
Use of the Internet.
Accessed, December 2002.
- Bilder CR, Loughin TM. Testing for conditional multiple marginal
independence. Biometrics. 2002;58:200208.
This page last reviewed: 7/12/2004