The Tuberculosis section (variable name prefix TBQ) provides personal interview data on several topics related to tuberculosis.
A separate file containing on the results of the TB skin and blood examination and testing is included in the NHANES 2011-2012 data release.
- Ever been tested for TB (6+ yr)
- Tests received_ needle, blood, or tine test (6+ yr)
- Were you told skin test was positive (6+ yr)
- Were you told blood test was positive (6+ yr)
- Were you told tine test was positive (6+ yr)
- Prescribed medicine to keep you from getting sick with TB (6+ yr)
- Did you complete treatment (6+ yr)
- Ever told you had active TB (6+ yr)
- Ever prescribed medicines for active TB (6+ yr)
- Ever lived in same household with someone while that person was sick with TB (6+ yr)
Interview Setting and Mode of Administration
Some of the questions in the TBQ section required the use of printed hand cards. When necessary, the household interviewers read the hand card selections to the participant.
Data Processing and Editing
These data were not edited or changed in preparation for data release.
Household questionnaire and tuberculosis blood and examination files may be linked to the tuberculosis questionnaire data file using the unique survey participant identifier SEQN.
Please refer to the NHANES Analytic Guidelines and the on-line NHANES Tutorial for further details on the use of sample weights and other analytic issues. Both of these are available on the NHANES website.