"Standard Practice for Assessment of Resistance of Medical Gloves to Permeation by Chemotherapy Drugs"
This practice covers a protocol for the assessment of resistance of medical glove materials to permeation by potentially hazardous cancer chemotherapy drugs under conditions of continuous contact. An assessment is made based on the permeation (breakthrough) of nine chemotherapy drugs through the glove material over a certain period of time.
A definitive set of instructions for performing one or more specific operations that does not produce a test result: Examples of practices include, but are not limited to, application, assessments, cleaning, collection, decontamination, inspections, installation, preparation, sampling, screening, and training.
All equipment and/or accessories (whether or not detachable) designed and manufactured specifically to protect the arm and/or the hand this includes all garments protecting the hand or part of the hand, including gloves, fingerless gloves, mittens, garments protecting the fingers only or the palm only, etc. Potential hazards include skin absorption of harmful substances, chemical or thermal burns, electrical dangers, bruises, abrasions, cuts, punctures, fractures and amputations.
- Medical gloves
29-2000 Health Technologists and Technicians
- 29-2012 Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians
ASTM D3577 - 19 - Standard Specification for Rubber Surgical Gloves
ASTM D3578 - 19 - Standard Specification for Rubber Examination Gloves
ASTM D5250 - 19 - Standard Specification for poly(vinyl chloride) gloves for medical application
ASTM D6319 - 19 - Standard Specification for Nitrile Examination Gloves for Medical Application
ASTM D6977 - 19 - Standard Specification for Polychloroprene Examination Gloves for Medical Application
The objective of this practice is to provide a uniform procedure for assessing the resistance of medical glove materials to permeation by chemotherapy drugs, and to establish a consistent reporting of the test data. Please see the full standard for complete details.
- D471 Test Method for Rubber Property—Effect of Liquids
- D3577 Specification for Rubber Surgical Gloves
- D3578 Specification for Rubber Examination Gloves
- D3767 Practice for Rubber—Measurement of Dimensions
- D5250 Specification for Poly(vinyl chloride) Gloves for Medical Application
- D6319 Specification for Nitrile Examination Gloves for Medical Application
- D6977 Specification for Polychloroprene Examination Gloves for Medical Application
- F739 Test Method for Permeation of Liquids and Gases through Protective Clothing Materials under Conditions of Continuous Contact
- Page last reviewed: January 27, 2023
- Page last updated: January 27, 2023
- Content source: