"Standard Test Method for Resistance of Materials Used in Protective Clothing to Penetration by Synthetic Blood Using a Mechanical Pressure Technique"
This test method is used to evaluate the resistance of materials used in protective clothing to synthetic blood under the conditions of liquid contact and increasing direct mechanical pressure. The penetration resistance of protective clothing is based on visual detection of synthetic blood penetration at a specific applied mechanical pressure.
A definitive procedure that produces a test result: Examples of test methods include, but are not limited to: identification, measurement, and evaluation of one or more qualities, characteristics, or properties. A precision and bias statement shall be reported at the end of a test method.
All items of clothing and/or accessories (whether or not detachable) designed and manufactured to provide specific protection. This includes bullet-proof clothing, general protective clothing and full body ensembles that protect from cuts, radiation, temperature extremes, hot splashes from molten metals and other hot liquids, potential impacts from tools, machinery and materials and hazardous chemicals. Examples of body protection include laboratory coats, coveralls, vests, jackets, aprons, surgical gowns and full body suits
- Medical protective clothing
29-2000 Health Technologists and Technicians
- 29-2011 Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists
- 29-2012 Medical Laboratory Technicians
ASTM F1670 / F1670M - 17a - Test Method for Resistance of Materials Used in Protective Clothing to Penetration by Synthetic Blood
ASTM F1671 / F1671M - 13 - Standard Test Method for Resistance of Materials Used in Protective Clothing to Penetration by Blood-Borne Pathogens Using Phi-X174 Bacteriophage Penetration as a Test System
ASTM F1414 - 15 - Standard test method for measurement of cut resistance to chain saw in lower body (legs) protective clothing
29 CFR 1910.1030 - Bloodborne pathogens
This test method was modeled after a procedure commonly known as the Elbow Lean Test.8 The Elbow Lean Test involves the application of synthetic blood to an ink pad, placement of sample fabric over the blood soaked pad, placement of a blotter over the sample fabric, and applying elbow or fingertip pressure on top of the blotter. The blotter is then examined for staining as evidence of blood penetration. This test method provides similar procedures which standardize the test equipment and application of pressure through an adopted methodology. Please see the full standard for complete details.
- D1331 Test Methods for Surface and Interfacial Tension of Solutions of Surface-Active Agents
- D1777 Test Method for Thickness of Textile Materials
- D3776 Test Methods for Mass Per Unit Area (Weight) of Fabric
- E105 Practice for Probability Sampling of Materials
- E171 Practice for Conditioning and Testing Flexible Barrier Packaging
- E691 Practice for Conducting an Interlaboratory Study to Determine the Precision of a Test Method
- F1494 Terminology Relating to Protective Clothing
- F1670 Test Method for Resistance of Materials Used in Protective Clothing to Penetration by Synthetic Blood
- F1671 Test Method for Resistance of Materials Used in Protective Clothing to Penetration by Blood-Borne Pathogens Using Phi-X174 Bacteriophage Penetration as a Test System
- ANSI/ASQC Z1.4 Sampling Procedures and Tables for Inspection by Attributes
- ISO 2859-1 Sampling Plans for Inspection by Attributes
- MIL-STD-105 Sampling Procedures and Tables for Inspection by Attributes
- CFR Part 1910.1030 Occupational Exposure to Blood-borne Pathogens: Final Rule, Federal Register, Vol 56, No 235, Dec. 6, 1991, pp. 64175–64182.
|Nelson Laboratories, Inc. - Salt Lake City, UT, 84123|
FDA Registered and ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board/ACLASS
Phone Number: (801) 290-7500
|Scope of Accreditation|
ASTM D5151 - 06(2015) , ASTM D6124 - 06(2017) , ANSI/AAMI PB70 , ASTM F1342 / F1342M - 05(2013)e1 , ASTM F1670 / F1670M - 17a , ASTM F1671 / F1671M - 13 , ASTM F1862 / F1862M - 17 , ASTM F2100 - 11(2018) , ASTM F2101 - 14 , ASTM F1819 - 07(2013) , ANSI/AAMI PB70 - Class 4 , ANSI/AAMI PB70 - Class 3
- Page last reviewed: November 20, 2015
- Page last updated: November 20, 2015
- Content source: