CWXSP: Estimated number of actively employed workers at underground mines and number of miners examined, 1970-2006
* Average number employed during the period, based upon quarterly reports by coal mine operators to the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). Because of hiring and layoffs, the total number of individuals who worked at underground mines in any period exceeds the average employment.
Note: See appendices for source description and methods.
Source: NIOSH Coal Workers’ X-ray Surveillance Program (CWXSP). MSHA coal mine employment data.
NIOSH 2008. Work-Related Lung Disease Surveillance System (eWoRLD). 2008-347 U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Respiratory Health Division, Morgantown, WV. Available at: <https://wwwn.cdc.gov/eworld/Data/347> February 26, 2017.
Reference Number: 2008-347
Date Posted: June 2008
- Page last reviewed: June 1, 2008
- Page last updated: June 1, 2008
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Page maintained by: Respiratory Health Division (RHD), Surveillance Branch