"Standard Test Method for Man-In-Simulant Test (MIST) for Protective Ensembles"
This test method specifies the test equipment and procedures for conducting tests to estimate the entry of chemical agent vapor simulant through protective ensembles while worn by test subjects.
A definitive procedure that produces a test result: Examples of test methods include, but are not limited to: identification, measurement, and evaluation of one or more qualities, characteristics, or properties. A precision and bias statement shall be reported at the end of a test method.
All items of clothing and/or accessories (whether or not detachable) designed and manufactured to provide specific protection. This includes bullet-proof clothing, general protective clothing and full body ensembles that protect from cuts, radiation, temperature extremes, hot splashes from molten metals and other hot liquids, potential impacts from tools, machinery and materials and hazardous chemicals. Examples of body protection include laboratory coats, coveralls, vests, jackets, aprons, surgical gowns and full body suits
- Environmental protective clothing
- Human Factor
NFPA 1971 - 2018 edition - Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting
NFPA 1994 - 2018 edition - Standard on Protective Ensembles for First Responders to Hazardous Materials Emergencies and CBRN Terrorism Incidents
ASTM F1052 - 20 - Standard Test Method for Pressure Testing Vapor Protective Suits
ASTM F1154 - 18 - Standard Practices for Evaluating the Comfort, Fit, Function, and Durability of Protective Ensembles, Ensemble Elements, and Other Components
ASTM F1359 / F1359M - 22 - Standard Test Method for Liquid Penetration Resistance of Protective Clothing or Protective Ensembles Under a Shower Spray While on a Mannequin
ASTM F1449 - 20 - Standard Guide for Industrial Laundering Care and Maintenance of Flame Resistant or Arc Rated Clothing
ASTM F1731 - 21 - Standard Practice for Body Measurements and Sizing of Fire and Rescue Services Uniforms and Other Thermal Hazard Protective Clothing
This test method is intended to evaluate the penetration and permeation resistance for complete ensembles to vapors from chemical warfare agents and other chemical substances.
This test method differs from Test Method F1052 by providing an evaluation of ensembles worn on human test subjects and measuring the inward leakage of a chemical agent vapor simulant as it would be absorbed by the wearer’s skin. Test Method F1052 is not applicable to the range of protective ensembles that are evaluated by this test method.
This test method differs from Test Method F1359 by using a chemical agent vapor simulant as compared to a liquid challenge and in the use of human test subjects. This test method further provides a quantitative assessment of inward leakage for the chemical agent vapor simulant. Please see the full standard for complete details.
- E171 Practice for Conditioning and Testing Flexible Barrier Packaging
- F1052 Test Method for Pressure Testing Vapor Protective Suits
- F1154 Practices for Qualitatively Evaluating the Comfort, Fit, Function, and Durability of Protective Ensembles and Ensemble Components
- F1359 Test Method for Liquid Penetration Resistance of Protective Clothing or Protective Ensembles Under a Shower Spray While on a Mannequin
- F1494 Terminology Relating to Protective Clothing
- F1731 Practice for Body Measurements and Sizing of Fire and Rescue Services Uniforms and Other Thermal Hazard Protective Clothing
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards
- NFPA 1971 Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural and Proximity Fire Fighting
- NFPA 1994 Standard on Protective Ensembles for CBRN Terrorism Incidents
U.S. Military Publication
- Test Operations Procedure (TOP 10-2-0221 Man-In-Simulant Test (MIST)—Chemical Vapor Testing of Chemical/Biological Protective Suits, September 2001
|Intertek - Cortland, NY, 13045|
Phone Number: (607) 753-6711
|Scope of Accreditation|
ANSI/ISEA Z87.1-2020 , ASTM F2412 - 18a , ASTM F1446 - 20 , ANSI/AAMI PB70:2022 , ASTM F1342 / F1342M - 05 (Reapproved 2022) , ASTM F1359 / F1359M - 22 , ASTM F1670 / F1670M - 17a , ASTM F1671 / F1671M - 22 , ASTM F1790 / F1790M - 15 (Reapproved 2021) , ASTM F2588 - 12(2020) , ASTM F739 - 20 , ANSI/AAMI PB70 - Class 3 , ASTM F2299 / F2299M - 03(2017) , ANSI/AAMI PB70 - Class 4 , ASTM F903 - 18 , ASTM F1862 / F1862M - 17 , ASTM F2100 - 21 , ASTM F2101 - 22
- Page last reviewed: September 29, 2023
- Page last updated: September 29, 2023
- Content source: